Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sholes Hillsgrove Country Club Roller Rink, Warwick, RI

HOUSE RULES: Gentlemen are not permitted to Skate in Vests, Overalls, or Dungarees----If Sweaters are worn they must be Clean and Neat in appearance----Aluminum, Alloy or Metal Wheels of any kind are Forbidden. Fast Skating, Playing Tag, Racing, Shoving, Wrestling, Smoking on the Skating surface, Stamping your Skates in time with the Music, Drinking or bringing intoxicating Liquors into the building, Petting of any kind and Profanity are Strictly Forbidden---- The Management reserves the right to refuse Admission to any objectionable Person or Persons, and the right to eject any Person or Persons from the Building and Premises that violates the above rules.
THIS RINK IS NOT ENTIRELY A PUBLIC PLACE



Sadly, this rink no longer exists. But, I have chosen it as my first entry because it was the first (and so far, only) rink I became really attached to as an adult. I skated there pretty much every week for years.

Sholes had a long history, having started it's life as the golf course clubhouse for the Hillsgrove Country Club, later the site of T.F. Green Airport. The Sholes family had owned and operated a number of rinks on the east coast and this was the last one in existence. The family bought the building after a 1930's hurricane destroyed a rink they owned in the Oakland Beach area of Warwick. The building was doubled in size and the band stage shortened. A Michigan Maple floor was installed and the largest roller rink I have been in to date was born.



In addition to the stage, Sholes had a very nice lounge that featured a cherry bar with lighted footrests and frescoes of movie stars of the twenties and thirties. Here, One half of Louise Brooks' head is in the lounge, the other half was moved to the other end of the building when it was expanded. This was one of only a couple of clues to tip you off to the major construction that had taken place.

Besides the seating in the lounge, the rink featured a section of booths that were accessed directly off the skating floor as well as booths that were located on an aisle off of the skating surface.




For many years, the rink was home to local kids and dedicated adult skaters. The wall of photos in the lounge attested to years of well attended New Year's Eve parties and wartime crowds of skaters, including many SeaBees from the base at Quonset Point.

Looking at the photos made me realize that Sholes had hosted many shows over the years with live entertainment. I asked if it were possible to bring bands into Sholes for a special event. That was the begining of a three year run of holiday parties featuring bands and organists.

Unfortunately, the rink was near the end. Due to it's close proximity to the airport, the value of the property was far exceeding the value of the business. In the summer of 1999, the rink was torn down to make way for a new hotel.

More photos are here.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, came across this doing web search... Man does this bring back memories. Thank you!!! :-)

Unknown said...

I miss that place!!!
At the end of each evening, the last song played always seemed to be "Return to Sender". I always thought that waa Mr. Sholes' funny way of seding us home after a long Friday night of dealing with us junior high kids. I don't blame him. I'd want to send us home too. :)

wundermary said...

Ha, Richard called the kids "the little darlings". That cracked me up.

Velter said...

I remember skating there every Friday night when I was in high school back in the late 50's early 60's. I recall the last song of the evening was "Goodnight Sweetheart"

wundermary said...

Ha, That's little sweeter than "Return to Sender".

Ben said...

Hi, I miss the roller rink it is an awsome place and the family loved it. you the blogger is right it was money, land value and the decline of people comming to the rink that eventually led to the demise. The rink was actually the oldest family run skating rink in the country. pictures and frescos and the benches and skates still are the reminders of the years past. Just like the mural in RI Mall which the inside closed showed what actractions ri use to have. While I was only 14 when it closed I loved the rink. It was run by three generations of sholes.

wundermary said...

It was an absolute delight and I was very sad to see it go. I still miss everything about it. Well, maybe not the bathrooms.

FlaTav said...

I came across this while searching to see if the Hillsgrove Roller Rink was still around. My late parents met at that rink back in the mid-1940s. My mom would go skating there with friends all the time. They moved to Florida in '49 (where I was born), but I heard so many stories about the Hillsgrove Roller Rink. They tore it down the year after my mom passed away. :(

wundermary said...

I hope you had a chance to slate there, at least once.

FlaTav said...

Unfortunately, wundermary, I never did. But, I heard wonderful stories of Hillsgrove in its heyday. I did get to visit Rocky Point with my parents when they were still around and I had some of the BEST clam chowder and clam cakes (and I'm not even a fan of clams! haha!). My parents loved that place, too.

wundermary said...

Rocky Point was fun, too. I have a small page on that place, also. http://spacehead1.homestead.com/rockypoint.html
Unfortunately, my website was built years ago, when everyone had dial up and is in need of a major update.
Anyway, there is a Rocky Point movie out that is worth a watch. It features a long time carnie that I absolutely hated, but, has many redeeming qualities. It has an especially nice recap at the end that shows some of the rides up and running in their new locations.
http://www.rockypointmovie.com/
Check it out!

Anonymous said...

I have two of the stone planters(in my day they were used as ashtrays) from Sholes. My parents, Jack & Linda, worked there and ran it for Sholes when they took vacations/holidays. My parents still "work" (well, kinda retired) for the Sholes. I practically grew up there, my sister & brother and my 3 sons, older niece & nephew all started with the smallest pair of skates they had (I think they were even kinda made for my sister when she was old enough to skate). Miss that place sooo much. Thanks for the memories! BTW, that's my dad Jack in the 2nd photo!
Jean Jencks (Crowther)

wundermary said...

Hey, Jean! I'm so glad you left a comment! I certainly remember your dad. I can not say if I ever met your mom.
The place was tons of fun, wasn't it? After I'd heard it was to be torn down, I skated, looking at everything, trying to absorb every detail. The latice work in the ceiling, the lighting booth (were you ever up there?), the awnings, the antique exit sign...I walked all around the outside, too.
After they closed, I avoided it like the plague. I did not want to see it being demolished. I did go by the new hotel, much later. I do understand how and why it happened. But, it's stiill sad, to me.
Do you have any good stories for us?

Unknown said...

Interesting history! I was just surfing around and came across this. I was the last person to play the organ for skaters at Sholes. I was driving by one evening in 1999, and saw the lights were on, so I stopped in to see if they had an organ. I had been a rink organist at various New England skating rinks for years. The guy at the door said they had an organ, and asked if I'd like to play it. It was dance night, so all the skaters on the floor were dance skaters. I jumped up on the Hammond, and played the rest of the session. Two weeks later, the place was closed, and a month or so after that, they tore the building down.

Unknown said...

My Great Grandfather worked here for years. His name was Frank Rowe. We moved to Ga when I was a kid and we are having a 1st ever family reunion this Sunday June 25th and I will ask around for pictures of him and or Shoals

-Mike Whittemore Jr mike051080@gmail.com

wundermary said...

Tim, my apologies for not replying sooner! I somehow missed your comment.
How great that you got up on that stage! I had trouble finding organists for the Christmas parties; I wish I'd known about you!

wundermary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wundermary said...

Mike, I hope your reunion was wonderful. We're you able to find some good photos?

I remember your great grandfather quite well. It was always a pleasure to see him. Did you ever visit the rink?

CthulhuLunchBox said...

This is cool. I used to skate here and at roller magic. Also really cool to see big nazo there. I ended up interning there in high school.

Greenwoodgirl said...

Having lots of trouble trying to comment..are you still there?

Greenwoodgirl said...

I skated at Sholes in the mid 1960s..so many incredible stories and memories... like the weird blue light and cigarette smoke in the bathroom...lots of exciting high drama like girl fights and tough boyfriends...and that organ music? My Mom skated there in the 1940s Who could forget Sholes?

Laura Jones Hyllested said...

My sons love this place because it had history. we went every saturday til we moved to ct my sons are now 35 an 32